A delectable custard cream between two scrumptious cookies creates beautiful Custard Cream Cookies.
Custard Cream Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Embossing rolling pin*
- Custard Cream Filling (recipe follows)
- Garnish: edible dusting powder**
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugars, and salt with a mixer at medium-high speed until thick and creamy, approximately 2 minutes. Add egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract, beating until combined. Using an offset spatula, fold in flour until incorporated. (If necessary, use hands to bring dough together.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and divide in half. Shape each dough half into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line several rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Working with one dough half at a time, turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ⅛-inch thickness. Lightly flour top of dough. Lightly flour an embossed rolling pin. Using embossed rolling pin, roll pin over dough once to imprint pattern. Using a 1¾-inch fluted square cutter, cut 30 cookies from dough. Using a thin-edge metal spatula, carefully transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough half.
- Bake until edges of cookies are barely lightly golden brown, approximately 7 minutes. Let cookies cool completely.
- Place Custard Cream Filling in a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe Custard Cream Filling around edge of flat side of half of cookies, filling in outline. Cover with remaining cookies, patterned side up.
- Using a dry, clean paint brush, brush edible dusting powder on tops of cookies, if desired. Serve immediately, or store cookies in an airtight container and refrigerate, up to 2 days. Let cookies come to room temperature before serving.
** We used Kerry Vincent Pastels Berry Mist Edible Dusting Powder from CSA Sugar Art. Visit csasugartart.com for retailers.
Custard Cream Filling
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup British custard powder*
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together confectioners’ sugar, custard powder, butter, and milk with a mixer at medium-high speed until combined, 3 to 4 minutes. Place Custard Cream Filling in a covered container and refrigerate until slightly chilled, approximately 20 minutes. (Mixture should be soft enough to pipe onto cookies.) Use immediately.
*We used Bird’s Original Custard Powder.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!