Cut bread into pretty flower shapes for Herbed Egg Salad Flower Sandwiches.
Herbed Egg Salad Flower Sandwiches
Yield: 12 tea sandwiches • Preparation: 35 minutes
- 12 slices firm white sandwich bread, such as Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Style
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh dill sprigs
- Using a 2¼-inch flower-shaped cutter, cut 24 shapes from bread slices. Using a ¾-inch round cutter, cut out centers from 12 of the flower shapes. To prevent bread from drying out, cover with damp paper towels, or store in a resealable plastic bag.
- In a medium bowl and using a pastry blender, chop eggs into fine pieces. Add mayonnaise, dill, mustard, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Spread egg salad onto whole flower-shaped bread pieces, and top with bread pieces with centers removed. Fill sandwich centers with additional egg salad.
- Garnish each sandwich with a dill sprig, if desired.
- • Egg salad can be made a day in advance and refrigerated in a covered container. Bread flowers can be cut a day in advance and stored in a resealable plastic bag. Sandwiches can be made a couple of hours in advance of serving, covered with damp paper towels, and refrigerated in an airtight container. Garnish just before serving.
TeaTime Magazine https://teatimemagazine.com/
From TeaTime, July/August 2015